Country 93

Country 93


Friday, June 14, 2019

Threat Keeps Students Out Of School

Hanover | by Robyn Garvey  

About 15 per cent of students went to school Thursday after a threat was made in Hanover.

It was a quiet and thankfully uneventful day at John Diefenbaker Senior School Thursday.

This after a threat was scrawled across the boys bathroom earlier this week to shoot up the school on June 13th.

Only about 15 per cent of the student population came to school on Thursday, which works out to be 100 of the roughly 650 students that attend JDSS.

A heavy police presence remained on site during the school day, and that police presence will continue all day Friday as well.

Police Chief Chris Knoll says the investigation is ongoing, and at this point they believe it to be a low level threat.

The Police have been working closely with the school and school board on the investigation.

Hanover Police Services has also been working with all of the principals in Hanover’s four schools this week.

Along with seeking out the person responsible for the threat, Knoll says Police are also developing safety plans for JDSS.

Principal Andrew Riddick notes that not one staff member called in sick on Thursday.

He admits it has been an unsettling week, and it is his sincere hope that school life will get back to normal next week as exams begin.

It's Riddick's hope they can finish off the school year on a positive note.

If all goes as planned, it will be business as usual by Monday which means there will no longer be police officers roaming the halls and standing by the entrance way.

As for the investigation, the school is working closely with police and are following up on every lead that comes in.

A number of students have already been questioned.

While many believe and hope that the threat scribbled across the washroom wall is nothing more than a hoax, Chief Knoll reminds the public that it is a serious criminal offence that could end in criminal court.

Knoll encourages anyone with information regarding the threat is to contact police or Crime Stoppers.

He says we need to hold this individual accountable for their action.

As for social media postings, Knoll encourages the public to seek out their information from official press releases not social media posts.  

 

share this story



Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2019 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc